cabbage cherries kitchen garden bean support Demo image Demo image

Tomatoes are in!

  • Wednesday, April 28, 2010
  • OK- pictures to follow, but here is my first gamble of the season :)  I raised some tomato transplats ( from Gail ) in my cold frame and yesterday they went into the garden..... wow!  I am thinking just because I planted them, we will get a frost --- but who knows.  This year I am utilizing the 'water walls' that I bought to help protect these plants.  So I planted the tomas according to the 'trench' method. I cut all the leaves off except the very tip ... dug a shallow trench, laid down the plants, and covered with soil except the tiny tip sticking out of the ground.  The thought process is to cover the stalk with soil so that it becomes roots and it is close to the surface where it is warmer.  Anyhow, I did this and covered them in landscaper fabric AND my water wellls.  Updates as we survice the chillier nights! 

    Other update is I am planting round 2 of my beets, pok choi, bok choi, and lettuce in flats in my cold frame.  I have all of my cold weather guys out in the garden flourishing, and I am getting itchy for more, so until I can plant my summer veggies, more green leafs for me!

    1 comments:

    Kelly said...

    Those tomatoes should be fine. I did something similar last year. If it was going to be really cold I would throw some row cover it all for good measure.....what varieties did you go with?