cabbage cherries kitchen garden bean support Demo image Demo image

Winter Garden Update- kale, kale and more kale!

  • Sunday, October 18, 2009
  • So every year I try to grow something during these cold and dark winter days.  I have decided that I really love Kale and Tatsoi to blend into smoothies all winter long. This year I am trying some new varieties, here they are.  I love buying seeds from Southern Seed Exposure (http://www.southernexposure.com/), they are 'local' to me and I really like supporting small shops like these.
    1. Vates Kale: 55 days. [Selected from 'Dwarf Blue Curled Scotch' by the VA/AES.] Planted spring or fall. Overwinters well in the Mid-Atlantic region. Resistant to yellowing due to frost or heat. This is our most flavorful variety of kale, best when steamed, and good fresh as a garnish or salad ingredient. Pkt.
    2. Red Russian Kale: 40 days. 'Red Russian' is an unusual and beautiful variety that grows 2' tall. Leaves are bitter-free, very tender, and are intersected by purple-pink veins, lightly tinged with purple on the margins. In cold weather the leaves turn reddish-purple and are very attractive. 'Red Russian' produces an early crop of very tender leaves. Pkt.
    3. Hanover Salad Kale: 30 days. An extra early, fast growing Siberian variety with large smooth leaves. When used fresh, this variety has a strong, but good flavor, mild when steamed. Harvest leaves when small and tender. Best for early spring salads before other varieties mature. Pkt.
      "This is great variety for adding to salad mixes and overwintering." -Radish Bruce
    4. Premier Kale: Replaces 'Smooth Long Standing'. When over-wintered, the plants remain compact while developing new growing points on the main stem. This results in a higher production of foliage for spring harvest. Plants resist bolting 3 to 4 weeks longer. A vigorous growing, smooth-leaved variety with deep green foliage and scalloped edges. Pkt.
    I am also getting Tatsoi, which I love for the mild flavoring and great use as a spinach substitute:
    1. Mustard Tatsoi: 43 days. Rosettes of dark, thick green, oval-shaped leaves. Very attractive, easy to grow and long lasting. Excellent for stir-fry or salads. Pkt.
    I am such a sucker for good seed descriptions. Just like information commercials, I just want to buy them all!  I will keep track of which ones I really like this season. Last year I did kale, tatsoi and mustard greens- and I did NOT LIKE THE MUSTARD GREENS, so I am now just focusing on what I did like!  For the record, strawberry kale smoothies are my ultimate FAVORITE! (recipe to follow once my kale is ready to eat!)

    UPDATE: Here is a recipe from a friend for Kale and Bean soup!
    Ingredients


    • olive oil
    • 6 garlic cloves
    •  onion
    • 1 bunch of chopped raw kale (about 4 c)
    • 4 c chicken broth
    • 2 cans Italian beans (great northern, cannellini, navy), drained and washed
    • 1 can of tomatoes (stewed, diced, whole)
    • 1 can tomato sauce
    • Italian herbs, salt and pepper to taste
    • parmesean or romono cheese to top soup
    Directions:

    In a large pot, heat olive oil. Add garlic, onion, and tomatoes. Saute until soft.
    Add kale and saute until wilted.
    Add broth, beans, herbs, salt and pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes.
    To serve, ladel into bowls and top with shredded cheese. Enjoy your Tuscan farmhouse cuisine! Serves 6 - 8

    1 comments:

    Sarah Weise said...

    Mmmmm kale & beans soup time!! Here's the recipe:

    http://the-delicious-life.blogspot.com/2009/09/kale-bean-soup.html