cabbage cherries kitchen garden bean support Demo image Demo image

Work and Food Gardening life don't mix!

  • Wednesday, May 20, 2009
  • So this season has been crazy, we had EXTREMELY hot weather (upper 90s) followed by very cool weather (low of 38 last night). It is about 2 weeks after mother's day which is the typical point for being able to plant your hot weather crops without the threat of frost. Well, Gail said her rule is, only plant heat loving plants once you have had 10 consecutive nights over 60 degrees. Well we haven't had that yet, but with my work schedule and people coming into town- I had to plant my tomatoes, cukes, and squash this weekend. Well wouldn't you know the temp dived and they all look 'star struck'....not in a good way! So ughh --- note to self for next year, follow the CARDINAL RULE: 10 CONSECUTIVE NIGHTS OF 60 DEGREES!

    2 comments:

    Kelly said...

    hey, I am right there with you. No time in the comings weeks to plant out so I did it a bit early.
    But wow, 10 days of that huh? That could be the end of June for me this year. I started a blog for me to journal my garden:
    "howkellysgardengroes.blogspot.com". I have been wanting to do it for months so I have much back logging to do....

    Kelly said...

    OOPS! that would be GROWS not GROES in the blog addy. Must have garden woes on the brain.