cabbage cherries kitchen garden bean support Demo image Demo image

Moving right along...

  • Saturday, May 16, 2009
  • So we hit the eventful time of Mother's Day in Virginia, which is not only a weekend for me to spend as much time as I want picking out heirloom tomatoes to buy, but also the mark of the end of the frost threat! So that means in go the warm weather crops!

    This year I again made my pilgrimage to Beauville Deer Farm in Basye, VA- where a great friend of mine, Gail Rose, took my breath away with all of the interesting varieties of veggies she is growing. These plants really do 'sing'...they are loved and are strong and healthy and I can't imagine getting my veggie plants anywhere else! This year, here are the tomatoes I am trying:
    • Green Zebra (a favorite of David's because of the 'tang'. Great for cheddar cheese grill cheeses)
    • Black Zebra
    • Kosovo
    • Aunt Gertley's
    • Oaxacan Jewel
    • San Marzano Extra Long
    • Sokacki
    • Brandywine

    Gosh, how can you not love all of these names? Green Zebra is the only fave I am bringing back from last year, I hope to find a few more favorites!

    OK, progress in the garden:

    • Planted a 'green smoothie' garden by the door. No more flowers, I need quick access to food! So by the front steps I have swiss chard, Kale, Rose Orach, and some mini broccoli Gail recommended
    • Corn- trying it this year, it is up!
    • Realized I have alot of space and not enough adults to eat- so....planted shelling beans, and lentils. Why not try?!
    • Planted two peppers from and Rosa Bianca eggplant from Gail.
    • Carrots, beets, radishes and lettuce seeds are in.
    • Onion seeds and sets are planted and coming up.
    • Herb bed is planted and coming up.
    • Dressed the garlic beds with more manure.
    • Strawberries in planters doing GREAT.

    Oustanding items to do are:

    OK- slowly but surely they are getting done! Ok-will take pics today and will post!

    0 comments: