cabbage cherries kitchen garden bean support Demo image Demo image

Winter Hiatus Over!

  • Sunday, January 24, 2010
  • I usually take a garden *break* after I have tucked in the garden for the winter until those enticing seed catalogs pull me out of my lull.  Well I am officilaly out of my hiatus as I just placed my seed orders yesterday and I am gettting SO EXCITED FOR Garden 2010!  As for my planning, here are some of the changes I would like to make:
    • Use my cold frame for some veggies that LOVE heat like my sprite melon
    • Grow alot more dry beans so I can let them grow all season and just reap the benefits once they are done (overall I am looking for ways to maximize my time and space out the preserving routine
    • Need to grow LOTS OF TOMATOES because I didn't have enough to can this year.  Fingers crossed I don't get the blight again!
    • Trying some new varieties that I haven't tried again and may put aside ones I always plant. So I think I won't be planting butternut squash again, I love them but they don't last the winter well and I found some more interesting squash varieties
    • Preserve as many cherries as I can! My favorite this year was my preserved cherries on yogurt. I only had enough for 5 jars and I need MORE, MORE!
    • Preserve my apples as 'Apple Pie Preserves'
    • Grow beets, beets, and more beets!
    • Get certified as a Square Foot Garden expert so I can teach! Application underway!
    For now, that is my plan, but it probaby will change soon!

    1 comments:

    Kelly said...

    I second the blight and the bean part. My beans had many problems last year, hoping to have a better 2010!