cabbage cherries kitchen garden bean support Demo image Demo image

Ode' to the First Killing Frost...

  • Sunday, October 19, 2008
  • Well here I am, sitting in my warm house reflecting this year's garden.....tonight the first killing frost is predicted and I must say goodbye to this year's core growing season. Now don't get me wrong, things are still growing, my kale, tatsoi greens, garbanzo beans, lettuce, and turnips - but the bulk of my garden will look droopy and will destined for the compost pile.....

    So my real adventure begins now. My objective for this year's garden was to grow and preserve enough food to feed my family (for veggies only) for the entire winter. I have diligently canned and dehydrated and frozen and NOW is my time to break into my stash. Wow - during the height of the season this day couldn't come quick enough, and now- it seems it came too quick. Here is a snapshot of all of the canned and dehydrated treats that are waiting to be cooked!

    So in one last stance, I blanketed up my tomatoes in hopes it would protect them from the cold. I know, a futile attempt, but the attempt at least made me feel better, and provides a very funny picture!

    0 comments: